I kill things. It is what I enjoy. I have killed animals, elementals, machinery, and demons the same way for over a year. I am an AFFLICTION lock. It is the way I enjoy playing.
Early on in my 70s I played with a demonology and destruction build. I didn’t like either very much. I speced out of both so quickly I didn’t even blog about the experience. I just didn’t like it.
So there is this PvP thing. You know where you kill other players. I am sure you have heard of it.
The most common build for warlocks in PvP is SL/SL build. You go into the affliction build to get Siphon Life and into the demonology to get Soul Link. The focus is outlasting the opponent (but isn’t all PvP?). Increasing your stamina, improving your life draining abilities, and reduce your damage taken.
I am trying this out for a few days. I lost some things that I am getting use to not having. Dark Pact providing a mana battery out of my minion. Unstable Affliction silencing dispell happy mages, pallies, and priests. The talent I miss the most is my instant Howl of Terror. *cry*
New spells I get to play with are Fel Domination, Demonic Sacrifice, and Soul Link. I don’t even know WHEN these are helpful. But I am trying to understand the strategy behind the play. I have this feeling that I am over thinking it and what I am trying to actually do is manage my pet more.
I am going onto battlegrounds learning this new spec with the intention of doing arenas this weekend. I am still focusing on what I don’t have anymore. My first thoughts after one day…
- I have no idea when to use Soul Link.
- Demonic Sacrifice seems to be a talent point to let you get Soul Link. It doesn’t look helpful in PvP.
- Fel Domination is only useful if minion is killed. Talking to another lock this happens a lot. I never found this to be true but that maybe because I was not demonology spec.
- I need to use drain life more.
- Before it was Corruption then Siphon Life. Now the first dot up needs to be Siphon Life.
- Not having instant HoT with a stun locking rogue makes it impossible for me to survive.
- I am trying NOT to hate it. Just haven't started to LIKE it.
After some reading on Arenajunkies.com there is spellstone!! I haven’t used that since I picked up the spell… and ran around Desolace with it pre BC. Should I be starting with a spellstone in my wand slot then once it is used change to my wand? Not sure.
I would love to find a lock video that is narrated like this mage one. I will keep searching maybe I will find something fun.
Like I have said … Hydra doesn’t PvP. I just kill things.