Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Don’t be Scared of Eclipse

Being that it is quiet on the WoW news front I have been thinking about talking about the books and comics I occasionally read. Husband has a great collection that I pilfer for something to read. I have my own short box of comics to read from them.

Planetary: All Over the World and Other StoriesCurrently I am in the middle of reading Planetary. I am reading the three hardcovers. I LOVED the first volume. The stories were inclusive and you follow the main character from adventure to adventure. Then I started reading the second volume… and stopped. I got twitchy when it revealed who the mysterious Fourth Man was and … well I had a moment of “Ugg. This is so contrived.”

Husband rolled his eyes at me. He made me promise to finish reading it... in a shorter time it took them to finish the series. The set of hardcovers are sitting on my night stand to be finished. The writer, Warren Ellis, did not fail in telling this story, but I need to get into the right mindset to reread parts and finish off the story. John Cassaday does these beautiful covers to each issue of the comic. Each of them is a study in a different style and a thrill to discover.

I will come back to this series when I finish it…

I, Hydra, admit to reading the first three books of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. BUT … okay… I have no excuse.

My sister-in-law had the first two books and let me borrow them to read. That was over a year ago.
Twilight 4 Book Set - Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse & Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga)
When I broke from my casual reading of Planetary I picked up Eclipse from the library. Without all the advertising for the movie I would never have given this series another thought. I have never seen the movies. I also have no plans to see it in theater.

Admittedly the books are an easy read. If you read passed all the emo high school high jinks and get to the world the writer crates, it kept my interest. I would describe it as romance novel with vampires. Easy read for entertainment purposes for moments you don’t want in-depth thinking. This is exactly what you want in a decent romance novel.

None of the books went into my collection. Plus, not one cent went to supporting Vampires that sparkle. *cheer* For libraries.

Maybe I will go back and reread Pride and Prejudice. I also should finish reading the technical book on computer networking I am part way through. There is a fourth Twilight book right?

3 comments:

  1. Here's a recommendation, have you seen Alas' P&P&WoW? Just like Pride and Prejudice, but with added Wow-ness. The latest chapter is at http://kissmyalas.com/?p=770. That may or may not make it through the spam filter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read

    A Song of Ice and Fire:
    o A Game of Thrones, Bantam Books, 1996
    o A Clash of Kings, Bantam Books, 1999
    o A Storm of Swords, Bantam Books, 2000
    o A Feast for Crows, Bantam Books, 2005

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by the way... no one should think any less of anyone for reading anything... I would read the vampire series.... I read Stephanie Plum the female bounty hunter series.... All 16 books... LOL

    ReplyDelete